Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday Tip!

There is so much going on in my little baking world that I cannot imagine what is going to rise next.  I even have our daughter making recommendations - without prodding! Both our son and daughter are experimenting with their toys by making imprints on playdough and then bringing it to me with so much joy, "MOMMY! You can do this in fondant and place them on cupcakes!"

Oh.my.goodness. What have I done?

Oh well, at least they are playing and being creative.  It never ends around here.



So in keeping in line with childhood and what so many of us loved eating growing up, today's tip will be about: playdough Peanut Butter.

Scared ya didn't I?  Eat playdough...yeahhh...why I never...

Anyhoo.

There are so many recipes out there that call for using peanut butter but there is also such a HUGE selection of peanut butter nowadays that it seems easiest to just grab your favorite one and use it. But it's not that easy...or successful in baking.

First of all, I will say that I have a new love for natural peanut butter...and almond butter (thanks Cheryle!) But some of these products require stirring and refrigeration and more often than not, these are not suitable for using in recipes (or in packed lunches).  So my tip today actually comes from my test kitchen and I'm going to share with you which product I have found is the best to use...and tastes great.


This is a natural peanut butter that does not require refrigeration or stirring.  However, over time some separation does occur in your cabinet and you should stir a little before using. Also, even though it does have a shelf life it is a natural product, and you should buy only what your family or baking needs require. You know, if you use a lot, buy a big container. If you only use for desserts, buy a small container. If you eat it straight out of the jar morning, noon, and night...buy stock. And so on. You get the point.

The reason I like Skippy is because it has such a rich nutty flavor and they use a minimal amount of real sugar to sweeten instead of molasses like some others.  The molasses, when mixed with other ingredients, can make what you are working with a little stiffer and more difficult to manipulate. Molasses is good for gingerbread cookies but not for my peanut butter.  And of course, "natural" means it does not have all those unkind unpronounceable words that are famous for making peanut butter live forever on store and home shelves. No thank you.

So try some Skippy Natural when making peanut butter cookies or mix with cream cheese to spread on your favorite treat...yeah even...rice cakes. Or stick to the basics and make a healthier and yummy choice when making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the family that will hold up in the lunchboxes. 

That's it peeps. Nothing fancy today. Just some good creamy peanut butter.


MMMmmm....Peanut butter and chocolate. Simply Divine.

...



Happy Baking!



BTW, It makes me so sad to think of those who have peanut allergies today and aren't able to enjoy the dreamy creamy texture of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter cookies, Reese's candies, or even the now popular chocolate cupcakes topped with a rich peanut butter frosting. I have friends whose children are severely allergic and I sincerely hope a cure is found for this food that has issued a death warrant on so many. Someday. Soon.

While we all wait, I will continue to make desserts (whenever asked especially for them) in a thoroughly scrubbed down kitchen with the products and tools I keep separate just for my special "customers". The mommas who follow me know who they are :) LOVE YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Those pb&chocolate cupcakes are one of my favorites! Yum, yum! Secondly, so awesome to know the care you put into keeping your friends and customers who have allergies safe. It truly proves how much you love everyone, just as we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said My Love! That is a tough allergy to manage....but good news....in case you didn't know, Chick-fil-A has switched the oil they use for waffle fries and hash browns from peanut oil TO canola oil! Both of those items are also gluten free! Chicken is still fried in peanut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was pregnant, I craved PB allll the time. That and lemonade- nice combo, right? Now, I think it's the best thing ever, esp. when PB is mixed with chocolate like in Reese's or THESE CUPCAKES RIGHT HERE!!! I definitely need to try these!!! Can I place an order??

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to read and post a comment. I look forward to reading every single one...and yes, I really do savor each one.