Monday, August 9, 2010

Taste test

The results are finally in!

Unfortunately, like I told you in my last posting on Saturday, my taste testers disappeared on me! Who gives up free cupcakes?!  Well, their loss was certainly my "gain"...if you catch what I'm saying. At least I didn't make the Coconut Buttercream icing I was going to test on the cupcakes.  I don't think I could handle another pound of butter...or two...or more...cause "these hips don't lie".  And I'm not Shakira.

BUT I DO SPEAK SPANISH!

Does that count?

No?

Butter. I mean bummer.

But seriously though. I promised you descriptions, pictures and results.

Here we go.

First of all, you may remember I was using coconut to bring a rich flavor to these cupcakes.  Well, the coconut milk didn't do much for adding their distinct flavor but it sure did give a rich and velvety texture. That is when I decided to go ahead with a whipped butterscotch topping and try them out in three different ways. 


Buttery yellow cake with whipped Butterscotch topping. Even in this "plain Jane" look...SO YUM!


...

Next up, I added caramel to the topping. This certainly took it up a notch in flavor!



Oh, so ooey and gooey.  Not the prettiest I've ever made but no regrets. None.

...

And lastly, I added coarsely chopped PECANS and finely chopped PECANS
(yes, yes, I know I misspelled peacans on the last post)



S.C.R.U.M.P.T.I.O.U.S.

...

The truth is I did end up having six taste testers (which included myself). They all just happened to be in my  family but they are used to me asking for the complete truth and these are the results:
  1. Plain Jane Butterscotch:  Delicious. Liked by all. No complaints.
  2. Caramel Love: Definitely a WIN! After tasting this one, nobody else wanted a "plain" one.
  3. Pecan Nut:  I was surprised that only two liked this and two completely rejected.  Both of the ones who didn't want the nuts said the exact same thing on completely separate occasions. They mentioned they needed to be "in the mood" for the texture of the pecans. The two that did like the final addition mentioned that it tasted like Butter Pecan ice cream, which is the flavor I was going for. The last two testers were indifferent.


Huh. Very interesting.

So, thank you for reading and if you don't mind too much let me know what you think.

Happy Baking!

4 comments:

  1. HMM..instead of adding chopped pecans, how about shaved chocolate on top?

    Anything + Chocolate = YUMMY (in my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!! Do you have any left?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all sound great, but I think the nuts or no nuts is personal preference. I don't like nuts in my brownies so I probably would prefer my cupcake without...but that's just me.
    And if this was Facebook I'd hit Like to each of the above comments. :)

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to read and post a comment. I look forward to reading every single one...and yes, I really do savor each one.