Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday Tip!

Here we go! Here we go! Here we go! Our very first "Tuesday Tip".  And like I said in the previous post, this may be old news to many but may be new to some. So this is for you.

Buttermilk.

Let me say it again. Buttermilk. Yes, some people drink it but that is not our purpose today.

Buttermilk is a type of fermented drink that has a tart flavor and gives richness to the end product. When baking (or making pancakes), buttermilk is the better wet ingredient for your recipe.  Yes, it is more expensive than regular milk but it is so worth using.

Now if you bake alot like me, you won't have buttermilk left over sitting in your fridge wondering when it will ever see sugar and flour again.  You will always be in search of it. As a matter of fact, the dairy section in the supermarket can be a scary place for someone like me because as I turn the corner I always approach with caution.

Do they? Do they? Do they...have...some...today?

[opens eyes slowly as if watching a horror movie]

YES! They do!

And off I go with two of the largest containers I can find, which is usually no more than a half gallon carton.

But this Tuesday Tip is not just about buying buttermilk and using it. It's about how much to use and what to do if you don't have any. Ahhhh...now that is something I always need to remember.

First, in a pinch or if you simply don't bake enough to stock your fridge with even a pint of the sour goodness, you can make a fair enough substitute. Just remember that real buttermilk is always best.  Here you go:

  • Bring 1 cup of milk (preferably whole) to room temperature (30 minutes is actually fine)

  • Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice (the acid needed to "spoil" the milk)

  • If you do not have lemon juice handy you can also use apple cider vinegar

  • Let sit for an additional 10 minute

  • Milk will have a curdled appearance...because it is :)

Next, how much to use.  I have found that replacing the amount of milk called for in a recipe with buttermilk is a good match.  Also, I have found that when using a box mix (pancakes, cake, muffins, etc) you can replace the water called for with buttermilk too. The end product comes out tasting wonderful!  Buttermilk makes everything better.

Who knew being "spoiled rotten" would be so good! HA!

And that my friends is our first Tuesday Tip. Please let me know what you think or even if you already knew about using buttermilk.  I would really appreciate it.

Happy baking!

 

2 comments:

  1. I knew about buttermilk, but hardly ever bake...so I forgot about it! My mom, a true Southerner, actually likes buttermilk...I mean, she pours it over cornbread and eats it! Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law's cocoa sheet cake (our traditional birthday cake in the Legg family) calls for buttermilk but I usually do the lemon juice thing. Never thought of using it for box mixes instead of water. I'll try that! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to read and post a comment. I look forward to reading every single one...and yes, I really do savor each one.